- Our Coffees
- News & Views
The lands that make up Hacienda La Esmeralda where first brought together as a single estate by a Swede named Hans Elliot in 1940. This land comprised several hundred hectares in what are now the Palmira and Cañas Verdes farm. Coffee had been cultivated on lands in and around Hacienda La Esmeralda since as early as 1890. Throughout much of the 20th century, Panama coffee was undifferentiated, but in 2007 the current owners: The Petersons, began a decade-long research project into coffee varieties. Now over 400 different accessions (or sub-varieties) have been planted in the high altitudes of El Velo, Hacienda La Esmeralda’s newest farm- and the results are nothing short of miraculous.